500+ million years ago, the earth was drier than the driest desert, and the air hung heavy with carbon molecules which lived their lives trapped between the earth and the stars.

At the time, most life on our parched planet lived in the sea, and as carbon played its part in the sea's life energy, it brought stories of land's loneliness to its sentients. All spirits back then were intrinsically altruistic, so the carbon molecules and sea sentients collaborated in communion, forming a resolution to end lonesomeness on land. 

After careful consideration and delightful deliberation, the sea's bravest organisms, a tribe of magnificent microbes, rose with carbon to offer up their amiable aims. Together they made a sort of treaty; the sun, earth, air and sea, inspired by each other's strengths and built on generosity. 

Each element promised to support the other symbiotically, making an oath to bring balance and give life harmony. The sun agreed to power each organism with light, which led the tribes of microbes to evolve into various forms of life.
carbon, carbon sequestration, regenerative agriculture, a carbon story, what is carbon, global warming, climate breakdown, climate emergency, green living, sustainable living, ethical living, sustainable living, vegan, climate change, regenerative living, carbon is not our enemy, what does carbon do, is carbon in our atmosphere

Light energy gave plants the power to eat carbon and water molecules from the air which they transformed into carbohydrates and sugars that nourished their bodies and helped build scrumptious soil; morphing the once brittle desert into luscious land teeming with layers of life.

Soil's spectacular structure formed from land's loving exchange with carbon, allowed the earth and its biosphere to evolve and grow. In return for the carbohydrates and sugars which the plants fed to the soil; the soil offered water and nutrients to the plants, aiding them in their diversity and expansion. As each plant 'exhaled' the land's bounty, its breath transformed into a gracious gift of oxygen for the air, creating opportunity for more life, plants, insects, animals, and eventually humans. 

For a long, long time, the sun, sea, carbon, humans, plants, soil, animals and land lived in harmony, treating each other with reverence and reciprocity. But as time turned, humans began to unlearn the alliance of the elements. And in 1859, grasped by ignorance and indulgence, they began to dig down through the millions of years of groundwork soil had set, to suck sleeping carbon from the earth.

Soon that carbon became relied on, pumped from its rightful rest in quantities so large the treaty of balance was forcefully broken; laying abuse to the very elements which had let life live. Pushed to such preposterous populations, carbon became heavy in the atmosphere again, and the earth began to return to its desert state as life was stripped from its surfaces and seas in acts of Ecocide and greed. 
carbon, carbon sequestration, regenerative agriculture, a carbon story, what is carbon, global warming, climate breakdown, climate emergency, green living, sustainable living, ethical living, sustainable living, vegan, climate change, regenerative living, carbon is not our enemy, what does carbon do, is carbon in our atmosphere
As the planet began to die, only 5% of the human population could hear its cry. The other 95% had forgotten the language of the land, long lost in mountains of corrupt comforts collected through endless eras of pillaging and taking. For them, greed was considered good, and green was considered gold, and they had no care for the pain that thinking sowed. 

Slowly and painfully the elements worked with the stoical 5%, sending whispers through the wind which woke some of the sleeping from their gluttonous dreams. Once risen, words of warning from the wise warriors of the world began to be heard after centuries of oppressive silencing by those who worshipped greed and gold. 

Like a breeze on a lake of calm, a ripple began to form, and though the battle is still not won, the wise and waking beat a long-forgotten drum, offering hope for the future dressed in lessons from the past:

Don't till the land, sequester carbon in the ground
Cull chemical use, and halt your abuse
Take only what you need, give back, and don't give in to greed
Leave only footprints, be guided by your goodness

** This piece is inspired by Finian Makepeace's Sages & Scientists Talk + Kiss The Ground's Soil Story

IF YOU FOUND THIS POST INFORMATIVE OR USEFUL
CONSIDER A ONE TIME / MONTHLY DONATION TO
carbon, carbon sequestration, regenerative agriculture, a carbon story, what is carbon, global warming, climate breakdown, climate emergency, green living, sustainable living, ethical living, sustainable living, vegan, climate change, regenerative living, carbon is not our enemy, what does carbon do, is carbon in our atmosphere